What makes this system different?
- Role and/or host based configuration of instances
- All configuration for your instances lives in your project's source tree and gets applied on deploy
- Configuration system handles dynamically adding instances
- Configuration templates for sharing deployment scenarios
- Start with a single instance and scale up as needed without editing config
- Use whatever AMIs you want (so long as they are debian based :)
You can find the README file in subversion on rubyforge (project rubber). You can install the framework from subversion as a rails plugin in the usual way - the README walks you through a demo using the plugin on a dummy rails app, and there is no need to check anything into subversion to do the demo.
This is still very much a work in progress, so don't use it in production, and expect things to drastically change requiring you to reinstall and reconfigure.
Any feedback appreciated, but check the TODO first :)